Welcome to the Deputy Area Commissioner for Training’s Web-page
New Scouter Mandatory Training
- Scouting Fundamentals (In person or 7 modules of online learning)
- Woodbadge 1 for the Canadian Path (In person or 17 modules of online learning)
- Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders (Requires online payment method for fee of $30 plus HST; online course only)
Find out more about training and screening requirements for Scouts Canada.
Other courses that are highly recommended, but not mandatory:
- Standard First Aid
- Scoutcraft 1
Local Upcoming Training Opportunities:
Returning Scouters – Training update
◊ Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders training is accessible through the David Huestis Learning Centre.
- This training replaces Scouting Fundamentals (Module 1) Session 5: How Scouting Helps Keep Youth Safe.
- Safe Scouting for Parents training for Parent, Guardian or Adult Overnight does not change, nor do the requirements for who must complete it.
- Active Scouters, Scouters under age 18 and Rover Scouts that have completed Scouts Canada`s current CYS training must complete Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders training by August 31, 2017.
- Scouts Canada’s current CYS training, “How Scouting helps you deliver a safe program”, will remain available until December, 2016. Applicants and new Rover Scouts can choose to complete either Scouting Fundamentals, Session 5 or Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders to fulfill the CYS training requirement of the Volunteer Screening Policy.
- New Scouters who register for the 2016/17 Scouting year are encouraged to complete the Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders training as part of their registration. Should they choose to take the current Session 5 training, they will have until August 31, 2017 to complete Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders.
- This training will cost $30.00 + HST. Individuals will be prompted to pay via credit card or PayPal at the beginning of the training program.
- The cost of this training will be re-imbursed by Loyalist Area fully. Scouters must present their receipt, and upon confirmation of completion of training within myScouts.ca will be re-imbursed by cheque.
More about the change: Respect Training – Communications Coach
At the link is a good article on the Scoutinglife online site that speaks to some of the reasons behind the change from Child and Youth Safety Training to Respect. http://www.scoutinglife.ca/2016/08/respect-interview-sheldon-kennedy-respect-group-training/?scrolled=true
RE-IMBURSEMENT FOR COMPLETION OF RESPECT TRAINING
The Loyalist Youth Association has agreed to fund re-imbursement based upon receipts for its constituent member groups: 1st Bayridge, 1st Joyceville, Kingston Centre, and South Frontenac Groups. Please contact Bill Racz for re-imbursement – firstname.lastname@example.org
The Loyalist Brotherhood Group has agreed to fund re-imbursement based upon receipts for the following groups: 1st Kingston West, 1st Amherstview-Bath, and 2nd Gananoque Groups. Please contact Kevin Ryan for re-imbursement – email@example.com
Training Opportunities within Voyageur Council <– click here
Training Opportunities in Other Councils