Scouters – Getting Started
How do I become a Scouter?
There are several steps to becoming a Scouter.
- Make an online application at www.myscouts.ca
- Apply for a Police Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening.
- Ensure you list 5 references and their email addresses.
- Accept the Scouts Canada Code of Conduct. Ensure you understand it.
- Complete the Online Training at the David Huestis Learning Centre (found in www.myscout.ca)
- Complete “Respect in Sport” found within the David Huestis Learning Centre
- Complete an Interview with two Interview Scouters.
Where do I get a Personal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening?
For City of Kingston, you may apply online: https://policechecks.kpf.ca/
Outside of the city you likely need to rely on the Ontario Provincial Police and attend their location.
They want a letter, and I need fingerprints!!
Send an email here indicating you need a letter and why.
References? How do I provide them? Who should I list?
At the end of the application process the program will ask for 5 references. One of them may be related to you. They will be contacted by email. Do not use government email addresses. They won’t work.
Training? What do I have to do?
- Wood Badge I for the Canadian Path —FAQ
- Module 1 —FAQ
- Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders — FAQ Will cost $33.90 payable using a credit card or PayPal.
- Safe Scouting for Parents
- David Huestis Learning Centre — FAQ
An Interview. What’s that about?
We want to get to know you better and ensure that you are a good fit for Scouts Canada. Be open and honest. Ask questions.